Job title: Nuclear subsidies campaigner
Position reports to: Senior campaigner
Position location: Washington, D.C.We are progressive environmental advocates who pull no punches and sometimes speak uncomfortable truths. This approach over four decades has yielded victories protecting our planet and its people. As part of Friends of the Earth International, we are a federation of grassroots groups working in 76 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues. To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy, and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. By focusing on reforming economic drivers such as tax or trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and governments to harm the environment, we have been able to make changes in the policies. Friends of the Earth U.S. is fighting to champion the environment and create a more healthy and just world.
Friends of the Earth U.S. is looking to hire full-time, talented and dedicated individual to augment our efforts to end subsidies and tax incentives to the nation’s nuclear industry.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
• Develop strategic campaign and communications strategies in conjunction with the nuclear project director and the communications team;
• Conduct and oversee research and analysis to develop reports and articles to educate non-governmental organizations, policymakers, and the public;
• Develop public education and campaign materials on nuclear subsidies and financial incentives received by the nuclear industry;
• Work with groups and activists within the environmental community and beyond to build the existing coalition focused on ending nuclear subsidies;
• Work with the nuclear campaign director and development team to contribute to the development and implementation of a fundraising plan.
• Minimum four (4) years of experience in policy advocacy (not necessarily environmental)
• Knowledge of Federal subsidies programs and ideally a knowledge and understanding of the economics and financing of nuclear projects.
• Organizing and/or legislative work at the Federal or State level.
Skills and knowledge:
• Knowledge and understanding of legislative and executive branch process;
• A demonstrated commitment to the environment;
• The ability to balance and successfully complete a wide range of campaign activities including advocacy, convening/organizing, policy development, and research, as well as to coordinate media and development staff.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
E-mail cover letter, resume, short writing sample and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Nuclear subsidies campaigner.” No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.