Internship: Communications Intern
Position reports to Friends of the Earth’s communications director.
Location: Washington, D.C.
We are progressive environmental advocates who pull no punches and sometimes speak uncomfortable truths. This approach has yielded victories protecting our planet and its people for more than four decades. As part of Friends of the Earth International, we are a federation of grassroots groups working in 75 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues. To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy, and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. By focusing on reforming economic drivers such as tax or trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and governments to harm the environment, we have been able to make changes in the policies. Friends of the Earth U.S. is fighting to champion the environment and create a more healthy and just world.
We are looking for a communications intern for a three-to-five month internship (January – May) to expand our organization’s communications capacity. You will be tasked with engaging in communications work that supports our policy advocates and helps them win campaigns in the short term, while helping to strengthen Friends of the Earth and the broader progressive and environmental movements in the long run. You will engage in activities including generating media coverage, sending email alerts to activists, writing persuasive blog posts and op-eds; participating in online social networks and supporting the development of communications and campaign strategies.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Quickly learn about the issues on which we work and the positions we take on them, as well as the range of communications tactics we employ;
- Draft and edit a wide variety of written content, including e-action alerts, fact sheets, news releases, blog posts, web page text, op-eds, letters to newspaper editors, memoranda and magazine articles;
- Build and update media contact lists and support media outreach;
- Track media coverage, e-alert performance and ad performance;
- Learn how to use our online advocacy and email software, as well as our website content management system and our media contact database;
- Produce content for Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites;
- Support the production of multimedia content, including videos and photos;
- Attend, facilitate and help with logistics for various events and meetings;
- Conduct research;
- Perform other functions as needed.
Skills and Knowledge
- Be a superb writer who communicates in a precise, concise, accessible and persuasive manner;
- Be able to identify how you can add value to evolving situations;
- Work hard and stay on task;
- Pay attention to detail;
- Excel whether working individually or in teams;
- Take responsibility for assignments and meet deadlines;
- Possesses political savvy, and be knowledgeable about and interested in politics, policy, advocacy and social movements;
- Consume various types of media and be familiar with current events;
- Care deeply about the future of our planet and the people on it.
Salary and Benefits
This temporary three-to-five month internship (January – May) pays $10/hour, with 37.5 hour workweeks. There are no additional benefits.
E-mail cover letter, resume and short writing sample to email@example.com with the subject heading “Communications Internship.” No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.