Job title: Grants coordinator
Position reports to: Director of Development
Position location: Washington, D.C.
Friends of the Earth is a fast growing, progressive environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It's an approach that has worked for four decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people.
To accomplish our mission, we are working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy, and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment.
Friends of the Earth’s Development department seeks an experienced grants coordinator.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the full range of activities required to research, write, and submit letters of intent, grant proposals, and reports to foundation funding sources;
- Collaborate with program staff to write compelling grant proposals tailored to the interests of the target funders;
- Collaborate with accounting staff to develop proposal budgets;
- Thoroughly track all foundation grant and proposal data in our Raiser’s Edge database;
- Work with the Foundation Relations Director to research prospective funders and maintain constructive relationships with existing and prospective funders;
- Collaborate with the Development Director to draft annual foundation revenue budgets and produce regular internal revenue progress reports;
- Keep abreast of new trends in foundation fundraising and the environmental sector;
- Assist with other database record-keeping and departmental projects as needed;
- Other responsibilities as assigned by Development Director;
- Maintain high levels of competency, creativity and professionalism.
Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 3+ years experience in grant writing and management;
- Exceptional written communications skills and strong command of the English language;
- Eye for detail for editing and cross-checking both narrative and financial information;
- High interest in, and awareness of, news, politics, policy developments, and issues related to Friends of the Earth and its program areas;
- Exceptional project management ability, supported by strong organizational and time-management skills;
- Ability to excel while working under multiple deadlines;
- Raiser’s Edge experience preferred;
- Adept at cross-team collaboration and committed to building consensus;
- A dedicated team player – no rogues;
- Passionate for protecting the environment and social justice;
- Availability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed to meet deadlines.
Salary and Benefits
Friends of the Earth offers a competitive salary, based on experience and responsibilities.
E-mail cover letter, resume and proposal samples on which you were the primary author to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Grants Coordinator.” No mail applications or phone calls. The position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.