Job title: Operations associate
Position location: Washington, D.C.
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It's an approach that has worked for four decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We're part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today's most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. We are focused on reforming economic drivers such as tax and trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and government to harm the environment.
The Operations Associate provides support to operations/admin and executive teams; serves as office manager for Washington D.C. and Berkeley, California, offices -- maximizing efficiencies in operations and arranging and documenting office systems for growth. This position is full-time, reports to the director of operations, and is based in the Washington, D.C. office.
Principle duties and responsibilities
- Support, coordinate and align Berkeley office management needs with those of D.C. office, develop and implement office systems to maximize efficiencies;
- Coordinate the reservation of conference room and services for tenants;
- Serve as primary liaison between building engineers, the property manager, tenants and Friends of the Earth regarding office quality and building issues, and coordinate service requests;
- Serve as the primary liaison with vendors for such services as telephone, copiers and the mail machine;
- Assure that the conference rooms and work rooms are maintained in a neat and orderly fashion;
- Process incoming email, mail, faxes, and courier services;
- Manage and control the inventory and order general office supplies such as business cards, paper for printers and copiers, FedEx and USPS mail items, kitchen supplies, office supplies for staff, Friends of the Earth paper letterhead and envelopes;
- Track and monitor fixed assets and equipment, assist with inventory control management;
- Manage the operation and supplies of all office equipment including: printers, copiers, the phone system, fax machine and the mailing machine;
- Manage storage spaces and improve storage systems;
- Maintain schedule for staff meeting chair/kitchen duty list;
- Manage the tracking and distribution of key cards/fobs;
- Perform receptionist duties as needed.
- Deposit checks received by the organization.
- Maintain various lists of staff contacts;
- Train new employees and tenants on office procedures;
- Support recruiting and on-boarding.
- Assist the executive assistant with the coordination of office events, such as holiday parties, special celebrations, birthday recognitions and departures;
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma
- Demonstrable intermediate-level proficiency with Microsoft Office software
- Experience in a non-profit environment preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work as a team member and interact pleasantly and effectively with other staff and outside vendors
- Strong attention to detail
- Customer service focus
Click here and follow the instructions to apply.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.